This recipe for cod with courgette shoestring fries is a delicious and healthy pescatarian meal that is easy to make and full of flavor. The crispy and flavorful courgette fries perfectly complement the tender and flaky cod fillets, creating a satisfying and wholesome dish that is perfect for a quick weekday dinner or a weekend lunch.
The recipe for cod with courgette shoestring fries is a relatively simple and healthy dish that features two main components: cod fillets and courgette fries. Cod is a popular fish that is low in fat and high in protein, making it a great choice for those following a pescatarian diet or looking for a healthy source of protein. Courgette, also known as zucchini, is a nutritious and versatile vegetable that is rich in fiber, vitamin C, and potassium.
To make this dish, the courgettes are cut into thin strips, similar in size to shoestring fries. They are then sprinkled with salt and left to sit for a short period to allow the salt to draw out any excess moisture. After patting them dry with a clean kitchen towel, the courgette strips are coated in a mixture of olive oil and plain flour to create a crispy and golden texture. The courgette strips are then baked in the oven until they are crispy and golden brown.
The cod fillets are seasoned with salt and pepper on both sides and cooked in a non-stick pan with some olive oil until the skin is crispy and golden brown. The fillets are then carefully turned over and cooked until the flesh is cooked through. The dish is served with the crispy courgette shoestring fries and lemon wedges on the side.
Overall, this dish is a healthy and flavorful meal that is perfect for a quick weekday dinner or a weekend lunch. It is easy to make and can be customized with different seasonings and spices to suit your tastes. The combination of the tender and flaky cod fillets with the crispy and flavorful courgette fries is sure to satisfy your taste buds and leave you feeling satisfied and nourished.
Here are the step-by-step instructions for making this tasty dish:
- 2 large courgettes
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons of plain flour
- 2 cod fillets
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Cut the courgettes into thin strips, about the size of shoestring fries.
- Spread the courgette strips out on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle some salt over the courgette strips and leave them to sit for 10-15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, pat the courgette strips dry with a clean kitchen towel to remove any excess moisture.
- Drizzle 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil over the courgette strips and toss them well to coat them evenly.
- Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of plain flour over the courgette strips and toss them again until they are evenly coated with the flour.
- Spread the courgette strips out in a single layer on the baking tray and bake them in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until they are crispy and golden brown.
- While the courgette fries are baking, season the cod fillets with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat some olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the cod fillets to the pan, skin-side down.
- Cook the cod fillets for 3-4 minutes until the skin is crispy and golden brown.
- Carefully turn the fillets over and cook for a further 2-3 minutes until the flesh is cooked through.
- Serve the cod fillets with the crispy courgette shoestring fries and lemon wedges on the side.
The combination of the tender and flaky cod fillets with the crispy and flavorful courgette shoestring fries creates a satisfying and wholesome meal that is perfect for a pescatarian diet. The dish is easy to make and can be customized with your favorite seasonings and spices to suit your tastes. Serve with a side salad or some steamed vegetables for a complete and nutritious meal.